Bleeding Edge Web: May 2018
News From the Bleeding Edge
— Brian Moeskau (@bmoeskau)
— Intro to Elasticsearch (Hugo Martinez)
— Using a Screen Reader to Test (Robert DeLuca)
— Victoria Bernard
- Speakers and sponsors always wanted (edgeatx.org)
- $5 Parking validation
- Omni hotel bar (downstairs) after meetup
- Anyone hiring / looking?
News from the
Browser Pop Quiz
Last check — April 19, 2018:
Browser Pop Quiz
As of May 17, 2018:
Interesting Consumer Features
- Reading tools (annotations, grammar tools)
- "Clutter free" print option
- Background tab suspension
- Plus a lot more
Dramatically reduced the power efficiency impact of rendering animated GIFs
Languages, Libraries &
Released May 2nd (examples)
- Rewritten in TypeScript
- Web Component support
- Built-in redux-like state container
- Modern CLI tooling (dojo create app) and test harness
An open-source, automated tool for improving the quality of web pages.
Released May 14th
- Faster audits with less variance between runs
- Brand new report UI
- Improvements to CSV and JSON output formats
Libraries and tools for enabling data-driven user-experiences on the web.
- Uses predictive algorithms to optimize application code
- Analyzes linked Google Analytics traffic at build time
- Bundle splitting via webpack plugin
- Generated content prefetch links
- Read the intro blog post
- A roundup of some interesting releases from April
- Courtesy of Github's blog
- Hyper, NetHack, Flask, Nerd Fonts, Monica, and lots more
- The articles of the GDPR are *really* involved
- Basically, if you could do anything in the EU, it applies to you
- It goes into effect May 25th!
- This checklist is a great TL;DR version
Auditing via npm
Perform a moment-in-time security review of your project’s dependency tree.
- New in npm v5.10+ and v6+
- Check out the release announcement
- Just run npm audit to get something like...
Is ServiceWorker Ready?
StackOverflow for Teams
A private, secure home for your team’s questions and answers.
- Basically a private label version of SO
- $10/month for now
And now for something completely different...