Bleeding Edge Web: June 2018
News From the Bleeding Edge
— Corey Butler (@goldglovecb)
— PWA on Netlify: Ted Patrick (@__ted__)
A Deep Dive into Spectre
— Jesse Kipp (CloudFlare)
- Speakers and sponsors always wanted (edgeatx.org)
- $5 Parking validation
- Omni hotel bar (downstairs) after meetup
- Anyone hiring / looking?
News from the
Browser Pop Quiz
Last check — May 17, 2018:
Browser Pop Quiz
As of June 21, 2018:
Released May 29
Motion sensors APIs based on Generic Sensor API
<foreignObject> will be a stacking context (SVG)
Cross-Origin Read Blocking (CORB)
Customize built-in elements (WC)
Released June 26 (next Tuesday) — Release Notes
:host now supported!
PerformanceServerTiming implemented. Supports
WebVR API enabled by default.
ftp:// no longer available for subresources.
iOS 12, macOS 10.14 — Release Notes
3D & AR Model Viewer (iOS).
Fullscreen API for iOS (iPad).
OpenType SVG font support.
Languages, Libraries &
Remotely control browser behavior.
- Official W3C recommendation as of June 5, 2018.
Node 10.5 (multi-threading)
Electron 3.0.0 Beta
UI composition & animation in pure HTML
BEW ARCHIVE: Spectre + Meltdown
They exploit critical vulnerabilities in modern processors to leak passwords and sensitive data.
- They affect virtually all modern computing devices
- The WebKit team wrote up a useful explainer
Microsoft Acquires Github
$7.5B Acquisition, Closing Late 2018.
EU Copyright Law
Mandated ability for artists to negotiate royalties through content filtering.
Github: "Automated upload filtering of code would require entirely new technology"
Fails to differentiate between multimedia and code (creative class).
The fear is a government mandate for content filtering could put a potentially crippling damper on the world's most effective means for maintaining the currency and integrity of open source applications -- all in the name of protecting people who weren't being threatened by it anyway.
MS Edge Debug Protocol
Wraps React Native
Originally commercial, now MIT licensed.
Angelhack 2018 Austin
Free Entry: Free4BleedingEdge
July 14 9am to July 15 5pm @Capital Factory
- Virtual: At the end of the AngelHack Global Series, a First and Second Place team will be announced.
- First Place: $7500 USD to be split amongst the winning team.
- Second Place: $2500 USD to be split amongst the winning team.
- Each submission receives 1000 cloud credits on IBM Cloud
- $100 AWS credits to all attendees